Monday, September 6, 2010

L.A. Tour

This weekend I went down to L.A. with my family for a wedding.  We, of course, saw a lot of relatives there and the next day went around to visit even more.  Some of the relatives I haven't seen since I was 14 or 15, and it's disheartening to tell them that I'm back living at home looking for a job.  I also tell them that I graduated and did an internship with UFC, but to me, I'm giving them the impression for the next 7-10 years (or whenever we see each other next) that I'll be job searching.  I know this is being dramatic, but "Oh well I'm back at home now looking for a job," was not update I wanted to give for this decade.  It's not like I was ok with giving my relatives I see much more frequently that same update, so really it just kills me to say it at all. 
What really angered me, though, was a comment one of my relatives gave me in regards to my UFC/Las Vegas summer.  It went something like this: Well so being in Las Vegas must have just been a really exciting little part of your life, huh?
Now I've noticed a lot of comments people make about my job search, etc. I become overly sensitive and defensive about, and this is probably one of them.  However, here's what made me bristle.  It sounded to me as though my UFC gig was just a fun little blip in what would ordinarily be a much more normal life.  It was like it was an accident.  No, sir. It was a very exciting and fun summer that I had in Las Vegas, but I plan to turn this into the norm, not the exception in my life.  I absolutely refuse to believe, or let anyone else believe, that I maxed out on this experience.  That, for lack of a better term (there are actually better terms but I don't want to use them), is bull shit. 
I plan on having nothing but exciting and enriching experiences.  I can pull it off.  It's a good color on me.  I thrive on it.  I think I need to feel a little more excited about where I'm at right now.  My mom keeps telling me I should look at my stay at home as a stepping stone towards my dream job.  In which case, I'm actually moving forward, instead of backwards like I keep thinking. 
Perhaps I should quote the United States Olympic Committee here: Amazing Awaits.

No comments:

Post a Comment