Wednesday, September 1, 2010

My Start

The past four to five months have gone by way too quickly.  I graduated, moved accross the country, and finished an internship.  It was a blast and I felt like I was on top of my game.  I felt like T-Pain, Ludacris, etc. stole my slogan: All I do is win, win, win, no matter what.  And to answer your question, yes, I'm still waiting for my royalty check.
I graduated from Lock Haven University.  No, you haven't heard of it.  It's a small school in rural PA where if you're lucky, you can see real Amish buggies and paper boys.  I received a degree in Sport Administration with a minor in Coaching (because why not).   
My Asian mother will be quick to tell you I graduated Summa Cum Laude with a 3.819.  When I showed her my gold chords she smiled her "I'm so genuinely happy and not faking it" smile that's incredibly rare, save her time at the Wheel of Fortune slot machines.  Anyway, I was well liked by all my professors and assumed I would be sorely missed.  Graduation finally came and I was all set to leave beautiful Central Pennsylvania with an internship waiting for me in Las Vegas.
I had been chomping at the bit for months prior to graduation to leave Amish Country for Sin City.  If you don't understand why, visit one or the other.  You'll figure it out.  I made the cross country trek with my Dad, my Honda Civic named Juan Carlos, and all my stuff jammed in the trunk and backseat.  It was fun.  But like my four years on the East Coast, I don't think I need to do it again.
I got an internship with UFC (Ultimate Fighting Championship) in the Sponsorship Department.  I was so excited and felt lucky to have landed such a unique internship.  Lucky in the sense that I found it, not that I got it.  Remember I graduated Summa Cum Laude =)
The internship was fantastic.  I got a lot of free stuff, a trip to Cabo, and a floor seat at the world famous MGM Grand Garden Arena for UFC 116 where I saw a guy get his arm broken.  I did a lot of intern-y stuff too like mailing things, or delivering other things; but overall I had a great experience.  Plus, when I wasn't working, I was in Vegas.  I also thrive in the heat, so I was feeling pretty good about life.
It dawned on me about half way through my internship that I would like to have a permanent position in the workforce.  It also dawned on me that if I couldn't procure the position of my dreams, I would have to move home.  So needless to say, I began applying to all kinds of jobs. 
Some of those applications are still pending, but I wasn't able to get hired before my internship was over and my lease was up.  My move home was inevitable.  I hadn't been so sad to leave somewhere since I left home in beautiful California to go to college in Pennsylvania.  I had to load up Juan Carlos once again and tear myself from Vegas to go back home.  The days leading up to my drive home, and the drive itself were littered with tears, my feelings of being wildly mediocre, and some Xyience (the official energy drink of UFC) on my pants.
I didn't feel quite like the winner I was when I began my summer.  I felt like the regular kid that comes home after college because the economy's bad and the job market is a tough one.  If one more person had told me: "Well we all live at home for a while...it's good...you can save money," I would have roundhouse kicked them square in the face.  My biggest fear in life has always been mediocrity.  I didn't want to hear that everyone at one point or another has done what I would be doing.  That's the worst.  I arrived home feeling defeated, despite the efforts of most assuring me I could easily find a job and be out in no time.  I'm smart and have a million dollar smile; so how could I go wrong?  But I still find it hard, even with these facts, to completely exorcise my feelings of sadness and disappointment.
So now I'm here at home doing my best to network, search, and keep a positive attitude for a job.  I'll keep you posted...
 

No comments:

Post a Comment