Friday, September 3, 2010

What Accomplishment are You Most Proud of and Why?

This was a question I was asked on an application today.  It's interesting/very college essay-y.  It was a good break from the searching to stop, and reflect on the question.  It's funny that an application itself forced me to do it.  What I wrote about was being able to stay and graduate from school in four years.  I could have been a miserable bitch (which maybe I was a few times in the Winter...) for four years.  To quote myself: I don't find it charming or quaint to be able to shop next to the Amish at WalMart.
What I did was get everything I could have out of my experience at Lock Haven University.  My worst grade was a B in Shonah Hunter's Principles of Biology class when I was a freshman.  If I wasn't learning how to be a great volleyball player, I was learning how to be a great volleyball coach and a leader.  I had friends and connections that could help me out if I needed.  I got really nice references from my professors.  In my belief, I did everything I could to make the experience as worthwhile as it could possibly be. 
What I am most grateful for from that experience is the person it turned me into.  I got confident and tough as nails, attributes that are helping me get through this job process now.  I became steadfast in the person I believe myself to be.  I believe myself to be confident, competent, and charismatic.  And I was able to do that in Lock Haven, PA.  That makes me tough as nails.  I dealt with snow, sadness, and stupid.  Let me take a moment to explain:
Snow: there was snow; it was cold
Sadness: I was sad a lot of the time (lonely, confused, far from home)
Stupid: I ran into a lot of stupid people...en masse they are infuriating...but also individually
My move home has rattled me a little, and I need to go back to what I worked so hard to achieve in Lock Haven.  I am very slowly getting my ironclad and resolute confidence and positive attitude back.  I have a steady foundation, so I know I haven't totally lost it, but I know I'm not the same.  I will be, probably next week, but until then I'll keep reminding myself of what I'm proud of.

No comments:

Post a Comment